Wednesday 2 April 2014

Climbing part 2

I want to climb outside in Ireland.

I have tried on numerous occasions to find good rock to do so on.  However, I have had few results until recently.

Before leaving the states I did some research and found an index of outdoor climbing routs in Ireland here.
I recently revisited this sight to find that one of the climbs is within biking distance of Lousburgh.  With this in mind, I, and my brave partner in crime Joy, decided to look for it. 

After about two hours of biking running and rollerblading we came to the base of the hill with the cliffs.  We hopped a fence and a river and started the accent to what appeared to be the tallest cliff.

About half way up I noticed a red splotch moving up the cliff.  I soon realized that we were not the only ones looking to climb today. 

When we got to the bottom of the crag we introduced ourselves to the fellow climbers who were from a college in a nearby town.  They regularly climb in the area and it just so happened that we were out on the same day.

We chatted a bit and got some information on a man in the area who leads climbing groups.

Joy and I then continued our own exploring and I did some bouldering of my own.


It looks a lot scarier than it is in this picture, I am actually pretty close to the ground.

The rock in this area is pretty nice, and we had a good time bouldering and really enjoying the view from the top of this hill.

When we had had enough we walked back down and ran into the same group again who then offered us a ride to Louisburgh.

We got dropped off at the filling station on the outskirts of town, and we biked and roller-bladed the rest of the way home.

It was a pleasant supprise running into that group and we hope to organize some climbing or maybe some sea cave exploration through the school in the next month.

No comments:

Post a Comment