Thursday 20 February 2014

Travel Preperations

As promised, here are the pictures of the rocky beach.







These pictures are taken at high enough tide where I could not walk around in the rocky area.

Now to change topic completely, I want to talk about preparation for a trip abroad.

But I am not going to talk about what to pack, that is boring.  If you want advice on what to pack look herehere or here

What I want to talk about is mental preparation for a trip abroad.

Personally, I feel like this is an often overlooked and yet very important aspect of travel.  So, I have come up with a few pieces of advice for your next foreign escapade.

1. Know something about U.S. foreign policy.  I know it sounds boring, but foreigners really enjoy talking about politics of the United States.  If you know less than they do, then not only do you look stupid but it also feeds into the stereotype of the “Ignorant American Tourist.”  You really should be informed about the politics of the U.S. even if you are not planning on being abroad.

2. Write a Bucket List for your travels.  When I say write, I mean actually on a piece of paper; writing down goals makes them more concrete.  If you actually have a tangible list, you are far more likely to complete it.  I am by no means a lists person, but I have to admit that I enjoy crossing things off my “Ireland Bucket List.”

3. Learn something.  For me this is inevitable as I am taking classes, but even if you are taking a three week vacation, it is worth it to learn something new, be it a hobby, game, or a skill.

4. Be able to vent.  If you are on a trip that last longer than a week, chances are you will get annoyed with something or someone.  It is ok to be unhappy on vacation, but the sooner you vent these frustrations, the sooner you can go back to having fun.

5. Write.  I for one have a mediocre memory for events, and let’s face it no one can remember everything.  Keeping a journal or a blog is a great way to reflect on and record the adventures you have.

6. Stay positive!  Attitude is 90ish percent of the battle if not more.

Well, that is all I have for you.

I hope your day is groovy,


Willie

No comments:

Post a Comment